Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Wait, How Long??!


Today, I would like to discuss patience, everyone’s favorite word! Patience is defined as bearing provocation, annoyance, misfortune, delay, hardship, pain, etc., with fortitude and calm and without complaint, anger, or the like. The Lord calls us to be patient not only in the small things (ie: traffic!) but also in the big things.  I think Abraham is an extraordinary example for us to study in this area.  First, let me say that summarizing Abraham’s journey does not do the story justice.  I encourage you to go and read Genesis as soon as you get the chance. Until then, here’s a quick overview:

In Genesis 15, the Lord promises Abraham he will have an heir, a son, and that his descendants would be as numerous as the stars in the sky. Despite his old age, Abraham believed. God revealed that Abraham’s descendants would be slaves for 400 years and the 4th generation would receive the blessing of the promised land.  Finally, Sarah gives birth to Isaac, the son that God promised Abraham, in Ch 20 when Abraham is 100 years old!

Often, I grow impatient just waiting for the red light to change on my way to work but Abraham waited until he was 100 years old for the Lord’s promise of a son to be realized.  In addition, he never personally saw the promised land, that blessing came 400 years later.  My question to you is… how much do you truly trust God’s timing?  As we approach the end of the year, many of us will be reflecting on the goals we set for the year, what we have accomplished, and where we feel that we have fallen short.   I would like to encourage you not to grow discouraged in the blessings you are still waiting on but to rejoice in the blessings that the Lord has bestowed on you in the past 12 months.  Don’t forget to also cherish God’s promises, because they will be fulfilled in His perfect timing.

Prayer:
Lord, I praise you for every single blessing you have bestowed on me in 2012.  I thank you for your kindness, your grace and your perfect timing.  Please help me to stay focused on your word and your promises.  Amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment